Sunday, December 18, 2005

Autism and Epilepsy are big challenges for a young child!

My son is five years old. He was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder at the tender age of three. At four years old, another challenge in his life. He suffered from seizures which were diagnosed as febrile seizures caused by a sudden fever. About six months later, he had to go through an EEG which was a dramatic situation for him. You see, he is also non-verbal and hypersensitive to touch and textures plus being restrained and surrounded by strangers, even the nicest ones as well as submitted to this test without the myself, his mother, he was terrified until I was allowed back to his side. To soothe him, I sang the same lullaby over and over for the next hour, holding and kissing him to reassure him.

Then, there were the results. He had 50% chances of suffering from seizures again since I had myself a history of Epilepsy when I was a young child. Also, statistics show that an important percentage of people affected by Autism are also suffering from seizures. And to top it off, I was informed that my son's seizures may have been triggered by the fever but was not related to febrile seizures. More than likely, he suffered seizures that are related to Epilepsy.

About two weeks ago, my nightmare became reality. My son suffered from multiple seizures, more than likely related to Epilepsy. He was then prescribed some medication to control the seizures. In a few days, he will meet his neurologist for the first time. As a mother, I feel like my worst nightmare became reality when I genetically passed on Epilepsy to my child.

As if it wasn't enough, he seems to suffer from terrible side effects from the medication. Epilepsy can change at puberty as it did for me. I myself suffer now from pseudoseizures but for parents that just were announced that Epilepsy was affecting their child, please write down your questions prior to your appointment and search for all the information available on Epilepsy. When medically controlled, it makes it a lot easier on your child. Enquire about the possible side effects and the way to deal with them. Medic Alert bracelets are also a great option so your child can receive the proper care if unconscious.

I know that when my son's seizures will be controlled without him suffering from difficult side effects, his life will be back on track and his beautiful smile will light up his face like it usually does, most of the time. Show your love to your child and get all the information that you need on Epilepsy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home