Sunday, September 02, 2007

Toddler suffered from seizures following ingestion of drug

A nurse and her firefighter boyfriend were arrested after the woman's 2-year-old daughter ingested the couple's Ecstasy and went into a hallucinogenic fit.

Shannon K. Leasure, 30, and Mark A. Rumble, 46, vacationing at the lake from Reno, Nev., were booked for investigation of child endangerment and remained in custody with bail set at $500,000 each.

"You just would not expect that from people who are at that station in life," said Sgt. Richard Ells of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

Leasure brought the party drug along on their vacation to the San Bernardino Mountains, investigators said. It wasn't clear where the Ecstasy was stored, how the girl got into it or how much she swallowed, Ells said.

After ingesting the drug, the girl suffered hallucinations and seizures. Firefighters were called to the vacation home and the girl was taken to Mountains Community Hospital, then airlifted to Loma Linda University Medical Center.

The girl's condition wasn't life threatening, the sergeant said.

Ecstasy is a mildly psychedelic derivative of amphetamine. Ingestion of the drug can cause increased body temperature, seizures from increased central nervous system activity, and muscle damage, when a lack of fluids causes muscles to break down, San Bernardino County Health Officer Margaret M. Beed said.

In extreme cases, Ecstasy use can lead to kidney failure and cardiac arrhythmia, Beed said.


Post a Comment

<< Home