Saturday, April 26, 2008

Young daughter saves her mother's life during seizure

A FRIGHTENED nine-year-old saved her epileptic mum's life as she suffered a terrifying seizure.
Chelsea Cameron cleared mum Christine's mouth and put her into the recovery position.


Her quick thinking stopped her mum from choking on her tongue.


And last night medics praised Chelsea, who has been looking after Christine since she was six.
Christine, 31, of Airdrie, Lanarkshire, said: "She's my wee lifesaver, my wee angel. I really rely on her.

"If Chelsea wasn't there, I don't know what would have happened.

"I was out of the game. But she just went into autopilot and helped.

"She does everything for me when I'm in seizures. I don't know what I'd do without her."

The episode happened while the pair were at Christine's mum Pearl's house.

Chelsea said: "Mum came into the room and fell and banged her head and started fitting. I got a pillow and tried to put it under her head.

"I turned her on her left side into the recovery position and held her hand and tried to get a response out of her.

"I tried to move her forward to see if she was sick or anything, and she wasn't, but I kept the towel under her mouth in case.

"I also opened her mouth, in case she couldn't breathe."

Chelsea admitted that her mum's seizures frighten her but she has since overcome her fear to care for her.

She said: "I do feel scared when it happens, but I don't let it overtake me so that I can go and do things that I need to and not run away."

And Pearl, 59, said: "Chelsea is so good at working with her.

"Adults have been in the house and have been frightened and then you see how that wean can work with her mum. She should get an award. She's such a brave wee girl.

"She doesn't even go out with her friends in case something happens to her mum."

Chelsea learned her skills through a worker at the charity Quarrier's.

A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said: "What she did would save her mum's life.
"There's a risk with certain medical conditions of the tongue blocking the airway. It's not the prettiest thing to see, given the condition.

"It can be quite frightening and intimidating for an adult, never mind a child.

"So if you've got a nine-year-old aware of how to conduct that manoeuvre, it's excellent."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home